Friday, August 24, 2007

More More More + Some of Walden

And probably my last batch from Thoreau cuz I'm gonna be busy busy busy with class readings.

K. Some favorite quotes:

"I saw yet more distinctly the state in which I lived. I saw to what extent the people among whom I lived could be trusted as good neighbors and friends; that their friendship was for summer weather only; that they did not greatly propose to do right; that they were a distinct race from me by their prejudices and superstitions."
"I think sometimes, Why, this people mean well, they are only ignorant; they would do better if they knew how: why give your neighbors this pain to treat you as they are not inclined to?"

Walden
"Perhaps these pages are more particularly addressed to poor students. As for the rest of my readers, they will accept such portions as apply to them. I trust that none will stretch the seams in putting on the coat, for it may do good service to him whom it fits."
"I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of. Better if they had been born in the open pasture and suckled by a wold, that they had been born in the open pasture and suckled by a wold, that they might have seen with clearer eyes what field they were to labor in. Who made them serfs of the soil? Why should they eat their sixty acres, when man is condemned to eat only his peck of dirt? Why should they begin digging their graves as soon as they are born? They have got to live a man's life, pushing all these things before them, and get on as well as they can."
"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon ploughed into the soil for compost."
"Most men, even in this comparatively free country, through mere ignorance and mistake, are so occupied with the factitious cares and superfluously coarse labors of life that its their fruits cannot be picked by them."
"Some of you, we all know, are poor, find it hard to live, are sometimes, as it were, gasping for breath."

Some live on another's brass.

"I sometimes wonder that we can be so frivolous, I may almost say, as to attend to the gross but somewhat foreign form of servitude called Negro slavery..."
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation."
"It is never too late to give up our prejudices."

No comments: